Basic Elements of Communication:
Definition of Communication:
Communication is the process of transferring messages from one point to an other.The three basic elements of any communication process are:
Source, which creates the messages to be transferred
Which carries the message
Sink, which receive the message
For example, when you speak to your friend on telephone you are the sender the telephone line through which you voice is transmitted is the medium and your friend is the receiver. The same concept is for data communication also. Data communication is the function of transferring data from one point to another. In this case sender and receiver are normally the machine; in particular computer devices (computer terminal, printer, teletypes, disks etc.) and transmission medium may be telephone lines, microwave links, satellite links etc. However the message that are transmitted are data not voice conversation. Thus the electronic system that transfer data from one point to another are called Data Communication or telecommunication.
A telecommunication system is a collection of compatible hardware and software arranged to communicate information from one location to another. Telecommunication systems can transmit text, graphics images, voice, or video information.
Components of a Communication System:
The following are essential Components of Communication system.
- Computer to process information
- terminals or any input/output devices that send or receive data
- communications channels, the links by which data or voice are transmitted between sending and receiving devices in a network. Communication channels use various communications media, such as telephone lines, fiber optic cables, coaxial cables, and wireless transmission.
- Communications processors, such as modems, multiplexers, controllers, and front-end processors, which provide support functions for data transmission and reception
- Communications software, which controls input and output activities and manages other functions of the communications network.